Finished Quilting Projects

Sunday 11 October 2015

1st Attempt at Paper Piecing.....

Well I decided to try Paper Piecing this weekend. This is something that I've never done and never seen anyone do. I missed a workshop back in June that a MMQG member was teaching due to circumstances beyond my control. I was looking online for some inspiration and came across the "Mercury" block by Julie Hirt.

When I first seen the picture, I didn't realize it was paper pieced. Then I browsed more on Julie Hirt's Six Two Seven Handworks website and located this Paper Piecing Tutorial she wrote for Online Quilt Magazine.com

After reading the tutorial, I printed off the Mercury templates and started putting together the block.


So this is before I trimmed the block. To be noted, her tutorial is wonderful. I really had an easy and fun time making this block. Here's a picture of the back.


And then after the trimming....


So after this one turning out alright, I made three more...


So I'm half way finished for the block. I am totally in love with paper piecing! I will definitely be doing more of this. I also ordered Paper Pieced Modern by Amy Garro this morning. I've been in love with that cover quilt forever. And now that I realize how easy Paper Piecing is, I'm going to definitely be making that cover quilt.

Well I'm off to finish the rest of this block :)

Happy Thanksgiving!

3 comments:

  1. Your blocks look great. Awesome for your first attempt. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too bad you missed my June workshop but it seems you are a natural. Yeah, I love paper piecing as well and quite often use it for patterns that are not paper piecing. I wouldn't do a flying geese block without it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad your first experience turned out so great! I have my copy of the book where I can see it all the time, just waiting to start the quilt . Your Mercury is fabulous. I love it!

    ReplyDelete