Finished Quilting Projects

Monday 1 September 2014

Around The World Blog Hop

So it's my stop on the Around The World Blog Hop. I was nominated by Jenn @ A Quarter Inch from the Edge. So excited to be part of this. I'm still quite new to the blogging world. I've been doing this for less than a year now and quilting feverishly for just over a year.

So welcome to my blog space. I write about all my sewing projects, fabric purchases and a sewing vacation here and there.

Part of this blog hop is for each participant to share how they feel about this hobby (in my case a severe addiction!)

1. What am I working on?
Well right now in my sewing room, I have all my blocks done for a Whispering Lake quilt. You can see what the quilt looks like in my Better Late Than Never post. Here are the finished blocks.


This block is my favorite :)


Next up is a challenge from a LQS. You can read about that challenge here. I typically try to complete a project before I start another one but sometimes a quilt will take shape before I've even set out to piece the other one. I'm experiencing that with the Whispering Lake quilt. When I cut up the squares for the Whispering Lake quilt, I had enough 5" squares from the remainder of Fat Quarters to make a Charm Square Baby Quilt :)


2. How does my work differ from others of its genre?
I don't think I really have a genre when it comes to quilting. I just make what I like. Sometimes it's from a pattern, sometimes it's something different than the pattern and sometimes it's drawn out. I think doing what you like, makes this hobby more enjoyable.


3. Why do I write/create what I do?
When I first started quilting many years ago, I had high hopes and no direction. I made many mistakes and put away all my sewing things away for years. It was only in the last year that I started to take everything out again. I just fell in love right from the beginning! I first started writing as a way to keep track of my projects and time periods for how long it took me to make a quilt. I had never realized that people would actually read what I wrote! I've met so many great people and been given so many opportunities by writing this blog.

4. How does my writing/creative process work?
Hmm this is a tough question. Sometimes it's a small idea that spreads into a bigger concept. Most of the time, I follow a pattern but usually modify it to suit what I want out of the finish project. I feel like everything I make reflects back onto me. I've only made a few projects that were exactly what the pattern called for. Most of the time, I just do what feels right. Writing just allows me to talk about a hobby that I love so much. And also communicating with other persons who share my passion :)

So there you have it. Hope you're still reading this and I didn't bore you too much!

So here are the next "stops" on the Around The World Blog Hop :)

Adrienne @ Chezzetcook Modern Quilts - is the first ever blog that I read back in Nov/Dec 2013. She is the president of the Maritime Modern Quilting Guild (MMQG) and a great person to talk to! She is miles ahead on the modern quilting scale compared to me and I just love seeing what she's up to. Take a hop over to check out her blog!

Amanda & Kelsey @ Everyday Fray - I first found their blog when Sew Mama Sew hosted the giveaway blog this year in May. I really like reading about what other quilters are up to. And these ladies show lots of goodies and share some good information. I learned a lot about Massdrop from these ladies. Check out their blog and you can see the gorgeous quilt they made for a cousin's wedding in July :)

Thanks for taking a stop over at my blog :)

Julia

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for taking on the challenge of the blog hop! It's been lots of fun reading everyone's answers to those tricky questions!

    ReplyDelete